Marine Science Research Centre Visit

On Wednesday the 12th August Crossmaglen Public School went to the Marine Science Centre. We all went in cars and met there.

First we met a man called Stefan. Stefan was a marine biologist. He led us to watch a movie about fish, sharks and other sea creatures like turtles and Mangrove Jacks.

Next we met some sea animals. We got to touch a sea urchin, sea cucumber and sea star.

The sea urchin was very spikey. If you take off the sea urchin’s spikes it will die. The sea cucumber felt squishy like jelly. The sea stars are very interesting because if they are cut in half they can clone themselves and regrow into two sea stars. They are called sea stars not starfish because they are not a fish. We saw an octopus called Squirt. He was called Squirt because he was so tiny when he was a baby. Then we looked at lots of fish in different fish tanks. There were fish that I recognise from the movie Finding Nemo. I saw fish that looked like Nemo, Dory, Gill and Tad. The fish in real life looked and acted like their characters.

After our time at the Marine Centre we went and had lunch. We had lunch in the park and then went for a walk on the beach. We took off our shoes and splashed in the water up to our ankles. Finally we went back to school. I learned some interesting facts from the excursion. I learned that sea stars can spit out their intestines. I also learned that the octopus can open bottles and get food out. I found it interesting that the octopus has 240 suction cups. I had a good time on the excursion.

Recount by Holly (Year 3)